by Heather Merry
Zane State College Counselor here
This semester certainly has had some bumps in the road and I can’t think of a better semester to check in with all of you. During times when it feels like our patience is being tested, it is important to check in with ourselves and apply self-care tools. Make check-in’s a part of your daily routine, it is much easier for coping skills to do their job if you can assess your feelings early.
A great way to check in with yourself and determine the best course of action could be asking yourself the following questions:
- How are you feeling today?
- What was the best part of the past week for you?
- What was the hardest part of the past week for you?
- What resources at school can I connect myself to, that may help?
- What would be a statement that would encourage me?
- How can I show that I am progressing to bigger goals?
Now, what do we do with all that information? Self-care and coping skills are tailored to each unique person, what works for me, may not be the first thing you would want you do. Create a list of self-care tasks that you know works best for you, this will give you an opportunity to change your focus from what is upsetting you. If all of your creative juices are low or maybe you want to explore new coping skills, downloading a wellness app on your phone can be a great place to start.
If you would like to explore this topic further, feel free to reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org
To all the students gearing up for finals week, keep up the good work, the sun is shining and we are on the home stretch!
If you are a current student, let’s talk more at the upcoming Registration Fest:
- Wednesday, May 5 3-5 p.m.
- The Campus Center, Room 430
- Sno Cones, Register for Summer and Fall Semesters, Win Prizes, Get Help with the FAFSA and Financial Aid, Apply for Scholarships and MORE!
If you are not yet a student, stop on by. We would be happy to help! (Please wear a mask while on campus and at this socially-distanced event.) For additional information, email email@example.com.