ZSC Logo


As a veteran, you have unique requirements.

We’ll help you transition from boots to books with special resources including navigating your military educational benefits. For more information on how we can serve you, please contact the Registrar’s Office at 740.588.1280.

Veterans Lounge

Welcome to your home away from home. With comfortable furniture, a television, and a kitchenette, this space, exclusively for student veterans, is the perfect oasis in which to do homework, relax, and interact with other veterans. It’s located in the lower level of College Hall, Room 154B.

Veterans Resource Center

Featuring a computer lab just for veterans, this area is also a great place to find information about benefits and get the scoop on campus and veterans’ news. It’s located right next to the Veterans’ Lounge in the lower level of College Hall, Room 154.

Credit for Military Experience

You learned a lot in the military. Maybe you’re even coming to college to expand on that training. We want to recognize that experience with a headstart on college credit. After all, if you’ve already learned it in the military (one of the best training centers of them all), you shouldn’t have to learn it again. You can earn credits for CLEP and/or DSST Exams; you can earn ACE credit for military training/experience. When you come by to visit us, be sure to ask how your training and experience can help you finish a degree even faster.

In-State Tuition for Active Duty Non-Residents

Active duty service members can move around pretty often. That shouldn’t put a damper on your college dreams. Even if you are not an Ohioan, an active duty service member who is both stationed and residing in Ohio (and his or her spouse and any dependents) shall be considered a resident of Ohio for tuition purposes and will pay in-state tuition.

ArmyIgnitED®/Military Tuition Assistance

Military Tuition Assistance (TA) is awarded to a student under the assumption that the student will attend school for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded. When a student withdraws, the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of TA funds originally awarded.

To comply with the new Department of Defense policy, Zane State College will return any unearned TA funds on a prorated basis through at least the 60% portion of the period for which the funds were provided. TA funds are earned proportionally during an enrollment period, with unearned funds returned based upon when a student stops attending. These funds are returned to the military service branch.

Instances when a service member stops attending due to a military service obligation, the educational institution will work with the affected service member to identify solutions that will not result in student debt for the returned portion.

Scheduling Priority

House Bill 488 of 2014 requires that Ohio public institutions of higher education provide veteran students with preference in scheduling courses. Per H.B. 488, Zane State College offers priority registration and scheduling preference to veterans, current members of the military, and dependents who are using education benefits through the Department of Veteran Affairs.

Course schedule preference means that veterans and dependent students who are admitted to all courses for credit offered at Zane State College are able to start registering for courses sooner than students with the same class standing. Zane State College’s goal is to ensure that veterans and military service students are moving through their academic programs in alignment with the time limits on their benefits and to recognize their service.

Help With Navigating Your Benefits

You’ve earned your educational benefits, and we want to make sure you get what you deserve. We’ll help you navigate the processes and paperwork so that you can focus more on classes and homework. Below are the benefits you may be entitled to.

Veteran, Chapter 30

Benefits are available to veterans who first entered on active duty after June 30, 1985. Veterans must have participated in the Chapter 30 program when entering active duty. Discharge or release shown after June 30, 1985, must have been honorable. Maximum entitlement is 36 months.

The Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty (MGIB-AD) can help you pay for education and training programs. If you’ve served at least 2 years on active duty, you may qualify for the MGIB-AD program.

Apply athttps://www.va.gov/education/apply-for-education-benefits/application/1990/introductio

Post-9/11, Chapter 33

Benefits are available to veterans who have at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. This benefit provides up to 36 months of education benefits. 

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) helps you pay for school or job training. If you’ve served on active duty after September 10, 2001, you may qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33). Find out if you can get this education benefit.

Apply athttps://www.va.gov/education/how-to-apply/

33D – Transfer your Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits to your spouse and dependents

If you have unused Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits, you can transfer your benefits to your spouse or dependent children.

Apply athttps://www.va.gov/education/apply-for-education-benefits/application/1990E/introduction

Selected Reserve, Chapter 1606

The Montgomery GI Bill® (Selected Reserve) is a program of education benefits for members of the reserve elements of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard, as well as the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. To be eligible for the program, a reservist must have a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve signed after June 30, 1985, complete initial active duty for training, and remain in good standing in a Selected Reserve unit. Find out if you qualify.

Apply athttps://www.va.gov/education/apply-for-education-benefits/application/1990/introduction    

Dependent, Chapter 35

Children, spouses, widows or widowers of veterans who died in service or as a result of a service-connected disability, who became permanently and totally disabled as a result of a service-connected liability; who died while a disability so evaluated was in existence; or who have been listed as missing in action, captured, detained, or interned in line of duty for more than 90 days are eligible for educational assistance. Recipients are entitled to 45 months of educational assistance. Delimiting dates vary and questions concerning these should be referred to the Regional Office.

Apply athttps://www.va.gov/education/survivor-dependent-benefits/dependents-education-assistance/

Veteran Readiness and Employment, Chapter 31

If you have a service-connected disability that limits your ability to work or prevents you from working, Veteran Readiness and Employment (formerly called Vocational Rehabilitation) can help. This program helps you explore employment options and address training needs. In some cases, your family members may also qualify for certain benefits.

Apply athttps://www.va.gov/careers-employment/vocational-rehabilitation/apply-vre-form-28-1900/start

Reserve Educational Assistance Program, REAP

If you’re a member of the Reserves who lost education benefits when the Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) ended in November 2015, you may qualify to receive restored benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill®.

Apply athttps://www.va.gov/education/how-to-apply/

Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program, VEAP

You may be able to continue your education by using part of your military pay to help cover the cost of school. Find out if you can get benefits through the Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)—a $2-to-$1 government-match program for educational assistance.  

All of these must be true. You:

  • Entered service for the first time between January 1, 1977, and June 30, 1985 (for all branches other than Air Force), and
  • Opened and put money into your VEAP account before April 1, 1987, and
  • Put in $25–$2,700 on your own, and
  • Finished your first period of service and didn’t receive a dishonorable discharge

If you served in or are serving in the Air Force, you must meet the additional requirements below.


  • Entered service for the first time between December 1, 1980, and September 30, 1981, and
  • Enlisted in one of these Air Force specialties: 20723, 20731, 20830, 46130, 46230A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, J, or Z, 46430, or 81130, and
  • Enlisted in one of these locations: Beckley, WV; Buffalo, NY; Dallas; Fargo, ND; Houston; Jackson, MS; Louisville, KY; Memphis, TN; Omaha, NB; Philadelphia; Seattle; Sioux Falls, SD; or Syracuse, NY

Note: If you’re currently on active duty, you must have at least 3 months of contributions available to use your VEAP benefits.

Apply atApply For Education Benefits | Veterans Affairs (va.gov)

Veterans’ Responsibility: Veterans who change their status by adding or dropping credits or ceasing attendance must notify the Veteran’s Officer at once in order that veteran’s benefits may be adjusted within 30 days of the change.